Thursday, December 6, 2007

sermon for Dec 3

The Joy of Christmas through Tears
Matthew 2.15 – 18
The Christmas season has started again. This to me is one of the most exciting times of the year – there is the most beautiful music, wonderful decorations, fantastic food, and some of the best times at church. But this is also the season for sadness and depression. I read an article last week that was entitled, “Surviving the Holidays.” You have read those articles – they are in every magazine and newspaper this time of year. Just the title bothers me – you survive terrible things in life, but I have a hard time thinking about Christmas as a terrible thing. Last year I went out to my daughter’s house in Seattle at Thanksgiving and we walked a half marathon – 13.1 miles. It was snowing, raining, windy, and a long ways to walk – we survived that, just barely.
There are sad things about Christmas. This might be the first holiday season without a loved one. Last year Lucille Moore and Guy McAlister were with us, but both of them died this year. We miss them. If some one asks if we had a good Thanksgiving or Christmas we usually think in terms of were our families with us. If yes, then we had a good time. If not, then it was not a good holiday.
Some people gage their happiness or sadness by what gifts they get or give at Christmas. All of us are busy shopping for just the right gift for those near us, or maybe you have finished your shopping. I know one lady who was done with her Christmas shopping last July. I will have a good Christmas if I get one special gift – I am not going to tell anyone what I want – if people know me they should guess what I want and get it for me. And I am going to be upset for mounts if I don’t get it. Enough of that.
There is only one passage in the Christmas narratives that is really sad. That is found in Matthew 2.16 – 18. Read. Jesus was born in Bethlehem and the vicious king Herod was afraid of him. Herod had killed even his own children because he was afraid they were going to take away his throne. When he heard there might be a rival king born in Bethlehem, he made sure no boy child born in the last two years near there was murdered. I can not imagine that – any human being ordering those killings and soldiers carrying them out. (Thing about Hans.)
I think there were tears connected with the birth of our Lord Jesus Christ, but most of those were tears of joy. Earlier this year when Dave and I preached on OT people, I talked about God’s Grand Plan – starting with Abraham, then Joseph, Moses, David and others, God worked out his plan to bring the Messiah to the earth. Now here with the birth of Jesus in what we call the Christmas season, God’s Grand Plan came to fulfillment. All of the OT people looked forward to this moment in history. I think there were tears of joy in God when his plan came to fulfillment in the coming of his only son to the earth. All of history up to the first century was aiming at this very moment. God loves the world so much that he was willing to give his son so we can have eternal life. There was certainly joy when Jesus was born to Mary, maybe even tears of joy.
I don’t know too much about the emotional make up of angels, but if they cry, the angels who announced the birth of Jesus to the shepherds must have had tears of joy also. You remember the story – there were normal shepherds out in the dark fields guarding there sheep. These were just some guys doing their job like generations of other shepherd. Then out of the dark came an army of angels surrounded by the brightest light anyone had every seen, singing praises to because the very son of God was born in Bethlehem that night. I have sung songs of praise to God through tears of joy. Those angels probably did that too night. The shepherds, yes even those hard, rough shepherds, shed tears of joy when they went to Bethlehem and looked down at the baby in the manger.
There were tears of joy for Mary and Joseph that night too. For these two it is a little bit more complicated. Joseph was in love with a beautiful pure young lady. They were going to be married and celebrate that love. Then just before they were to be married, Joseph’s hopes and dreams seemed to be shattered went he learned that Mary was expecting a child. He knew he was not the father. There were tears of deep sorrow for this good godly man, lots of tears I am sure, and a great deal of anger too. It took the appearance of an angel from God to convince him to take Mary to be his wife. I think there were tears of sorrow by Mary too. She must have endured the looks and comments of the people in the village when she started to show. Very few of them would have believed claims of a miraculous birth.
But now in the city of Bethlehem that night Joseph and Mary both celebrated the birth of their firstborn son. Think back to when you held the first child born to you – to all the children born to you. There is no greater joy. My son Peder and his wife Sarah had Aurelia 3 months ago. I went up there late that afternoon and you could not force the smile off his face even if you would have wanted to. Joseph and Mary did not know fully yet how precious this would be, but they had tears of joy that night when they looked at the newborn baby Jesus in the manger.
I think the real secret people have at Christmas time whether they have tears of joy or tears of sorrow is if they see the baby in the manger or if they look at something else. He is the one who brings the joy even 2000 years later. Too many eyes at this time of year are focused on parties or food or presents or even family gatherings. Those are all good and fun. Way too many are focused on drinking at the Christmas parties, and that is never helpful.
Any time we take our eyes off the Lord – in this case the baby in the manger, we are can and probably will have tears of sorrow. My expectations are not met. I don’t get what I want. Other people did not do what I want them to do or get me what I wanted. Jesus came to show us that the joyful life is oriented to loving God and others. He came to give, and when we live for him and give to others, we have joy even tears of joy. This Christmas look at the son of God in the manger. Every time you get busy with other stuff, ask yourself, how can I get my eyes back on the Lord and how can I help others see him? Enjoy the other things about Christmas, but remember Jesus Christ is the one who gives joy, the lasting eternal life joy to us and others.

No comments: